It's summer and that means we'll be dusting off the grill for some BURGERS! Just walk outside around dinnertime and you're likely to smell some delicious grilling aromas floating around in your neighborhood.
But what if you want to lighten up your grill nights, or you're vegetarian or vegan, or maybe you want to participate in Meatless Mondays but don't know what to bring to the BBQ?
Then I've got the perfect option for you with these quinoa black bean burgers.
I make a double batch and freeze a bunch of them so I have homemade "fast-food" on busy days. Enjoy!
- 1 sm onion finely chopped (1cup)
- 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 1-1/2cblack beans divided in half
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried steak seasoning
- butter lettuce for “bun”
1. Stir together quinoa and 1 ½ cups water in small saucepan, and season with salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. (You should have 1½ cups cooked quinoa.)
2. Coook onion and sun-dried tomatoes over medium heat. (The oil left on the tomatoes should be enough to sauté the onion.) Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion has softened. Stir in ¾ cup black beans, garlic, steak seasoning, and 1½ cups water. Simmer 9 to 11 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
3. Transfer bean-onion mixture to food processor, add ¾ cup cooked quinoa, and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining ¾ cup quinoa and remaining ¾ cup black beans. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and cool.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F, and generously coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape bean mixture into 8 patties (½ cup each), and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, or until patties are crisp on top. Flip patties with spatula, and bake 10 minutes more, or until both sides are crisp and brown.