This month I feel compelled to make some confessions, and I feel confident you won't judge! Why? Because you are JUST THAT AWESOME.
In fact, you'll probably relate!
I think this is really important to lay it out there because I can't expect my clients to be honest with themselves and with me if I'm not honest with myself and with YOU; right?!
So here goes (eek!): I don't ALWAYS eat the highest-quality food that exists; I don't ALWAYS follow all the rules that I've developed for my coaching programs; and I don't ALWAYS wake up ready to conquer the world.
Whew. What a relief to share that!
But why am I exposing my soft underbelly, you wonder?
Because I want you to understand that there is a distinction between living a PERFECT life and living a THRIVING life.
There is no such thing as a perfect life. Or a perfect meal. Or a perfect body. Or a perfect relationship. Or a perfect anything! And even if there was...perfect is boring! It's the natural contrast, the ebb and flow, that inspires us to grow.
And the good news is there is such a thing as a THRIVING life. So let's talk about what that might look like.
- You feel healthy, joyful, passionate, energetic, youthful, loving, and purpose-driven MOST OF THE TIME.
- And if at any time you DON'T feel those things, you have processes and a support system in place that you could utilize to get you there.
- You ultimately understand that life is not determined by what happens TO you, but rather how you think and behave in response to life events.
So although I don't ALWAYS eat the highest-quality food, follow my own rules, and wake up feeling unstoppable, I do MOST OF THE TIME. And when I don't, I know exactly what to do to get me there.
This is what I consider living a thriving life.
So over the years I have let go of the need to achieve perfection, and my life has opened up dramatically. Most notably with regard to my relationship with food!
In the past, if I were to eat something that was not "on my diet," I would go completely off the rails and eat everything "bad" I could get my hands on because I "already messed up" anyway, so why not?!
That was when I was aiming for eating perfectly all the time. I was either completely on track or all the way off track. There was no middle-ground, and that was not working for my health, my body, or my happiness.
And moreover, I learned that DIETS DON'T WORK. At least not long term.
So instead, in order to create a healthy and thriving life, I urge all my clients (and myself) to CHOOSE EVERYTHING WITH AWARENESS. Whatever it is, whether it's in line with what you know will bring you closer to your goals or not.
And if and when you DO eat something or take an action that's not optimal, you can:
- Consciously choose it (rather than letting autopilot take over)
- Promise yourself that you won't negatively judge yourself for this choice (if you can't promise this, then don't choose it!)
- Realize that every moment presents a new opportunity to make a new choice that MAY be in line with your goals
- Use all of it as feedback to fine-tune next time, rather than an excuse to beat yourself up
- Give yourself a high-5 for your growing awareness and self-love
The more often you CHOOSE WITH AWARENESS, the more often you will naturally gravitate towards choosing things in line with what your body actually needs to thrive.
And you know what else might help you to thrive? Being part of a community of other imperfect thrivers who are all on the same page, supporting and inspiring each other along the journey to our goals.
You can be part of a team like this in my next 6-week online group coaching program beginning TOMORROW, August 5, 2016 at noon PST (replays will be avail if you can't make it to the live sessions).
Here's what one of my rock star participants from the last group had to say:
"I've lost 15 lbs, and I feel so good to fit back into my clothes and even better to not be a prisoner to sugar and sweets! It doesn't even feel like it was that much work. It was so natural." -Mia, Oceanside, CA
CLICK HERE to learn more about the Summer Slim-Down Challenge and/or join the team!
Let's get out there and IMPERFECTLY THRIVE together!